Our practice was founded in 1955 by Barbara L. Sims, a longtime resident of Winter Park, Florida. She began the business out of her home, later moving to office space near downtown Winter Park. Barbara began the business providing bookkeeping and tax services to her friends and family.
She received administrative assistance from her longtime friend and bridge partner, Catherine (Kitty) Ballance who would ride her bicycle to Barbara’s house to pick up and deliver the work. This anecdote illustrates the philosophy still carried out in our practice today, services rendered with the quality and expertise expected from today’s Certified Public Accountant (CPA) professionals, but delivered with the modest, sincere performance of yesteryear.
In 1995, Barbara decided it was time to semi-retire and enjoy some of life’s other pleasures. Through a slow, smooth transition, Kathryn V. Ross, CPA purchased the business from Barbara. Our practice was privileged to have Barbara stay on part time as a consultant for the firm.
Kathryn’s prior experience is varied with public accounting experience and seven years experience with the Internal Revenue Service as a Revenue Agent. Her final year with the IRS involved working on special projects targeted at the Non-Filers (taxpayer delinquent with their prior tax returns).
Since our practice has been in existence for over 50 years, many of our clients have now journeyed into their golden years. Therefore, we have a strong background in dealing with retirees issues and providing elder care services.
Our practice also focuses on providing services for small businesses. We offer compilation services, bank reconciliation, quarterly and annual payroll services and tax return preparation.
In summary, our practice extends services to the entire community, from the small business owner, to the individual client with financial consulting or tax needs, to the non-filer who needs some special attention with Internal Revenue Service issues. We are here to meet all the needs of the community. We furnish our services with today’s quality and yesterday’s modest sincere performance.
Kathryn V. Ross
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting from University of LaVerne, LaVerne, CA
- Masters of Business Administration from University of LaVerne, LaVerne, CA
- Five years experience as Claims Correspondent with Blue Cross & Blue Shield
- Over twenty years of accounting and tax experience
- Over seven years experience with the Internal Revenue Service as a Revenue Agent performing audits of individual and business tax returns. Special projects included working with the Non-filers to bring the taxpayer to full compliance with their delinquent tax returns.
- Instructor at Florida Southern College (FSC) for 9 years
AFFILIATIONS & CERTIFICATION
- Certified Public Accountant – State of Florida
- Member of Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants